COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) Testing
Tomorrow’s Health provides one of the most sensitive real-time PCR (RT-PCR) tests for SARS-CoV-2 currently available: able to detect down to 150 virus particles per milliliter (mL) of patient specimen.
This test is offered as an individual (single) or a pooled test. See below recommendations for when the single or pooled test should be ordered:
Individual SARS-CoV-2 test.
This is the most sensitive form of the test and should be ordered when:
1. A patient has COVID-19 like symptoms
2. There is high suspicion that an individual has COVID-19, even when they are not showing symptoms (e.g., close contact with a COVID-
19 positive person)
Pooled SARS-CoV-2 test.
Tomorrow’s Health will be pooling three (3) specimens together in this form of the test. Thus, this test is less sensitive than the individual test and should only be ordered when/for:
1. There is a low likelihood (chance) that the individual has COVID-19
2. Screening of large numbers of individuals where the prevalence of COVID-19 infection is expected to be low (<5%) (e.g., regular screening of employees, students, etc.)
SARS-CoV-2 antibody (IgM and IgG) test.
Tomorrow’s Health is performing a rapid, fingerstick test that detects both IgM and IgG in your blood.
1. The presence of antibody may mean that you currently have COVID-19 or have had it in the past
2. A negative test does not completely rule out current or past COVID-19 infection, as antibodies do not appear early in disease (i.e.,
within the first two weeks) and decrease over time after infection (i.e., months to years later)